Primary Research: Space Weather
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Office: 255 Planetary Hall Phone: 703.993.9847 (GMU) 703.973.5482 (c) 202.767.2773 (NRL)
Office Hours: My office hours are:
Primary Website: http://spacs.gmu.edu/profile/robert-r-meier/
Current Research Interests
- Upper atmospheric and ionospheric physics, chemistry, and dynamics with special emphasis on development of techniques for remote sensing of composition and temperature.
- Studies of auroras from ground and space to understand nature of precipitating particles and their relationship to geomagnetic storms.
- Investigation of the basic properties of comets and their interaction with the solar wind and radiation fields.
- The interstellar medium and its interaction with the solar system, with special focus on the flow of hydrogen and helium into the interplanetary regime.
- Studies of the plasmasphere and its special relationship with the ionosphere and magnetosphere, especially from a global perspective through extreme ultraviolet imaging.
- Radiative transport theory, with emphasis on development of numerical techniques for interpretation of spectra and images of very optically thick planetary atmospheres.
- Solar irradiance variability and its effect on planetary atmospheres.
- Photolysis of trace constituents in the middle atmosphere.
- Planetary atmospheres, with special interest in Venus, Mars and the moons of the outer planets.
- Space-based experimentation with rocket and satellite payloads.